Valentine’s Day is about showing your sweetie how much you care. Why not start first thing in the morning?! Harry’s Lifeguard Special is just the thing.
At Harry’s, the Lifeguard Special is served with either pancakes or French toast, eggs of your choice, either bacon, sausage or ham, and home fries. In this post we’ll make French toast, scrambled eggs and bacon for two.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 slices of bread, preferably slightly stale
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- dash or cinnamon (optional)
- In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Dip bread slices in egg mixture, one at a time, making sure to soak each side. Hold bread slice above bowl to allow the excess egg mixture to drain off and then place in the hot, buttered skillet. Repeat with as many slices as will fit in the pan at a time.
- Cook the French bread over medium heat and flip the slices when they are browned to your liking. When both sides are browned, remove to a plate in a warm oven.
- 4 or 5 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cream or milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them, just until the yolks and whites are combined. Season with salt and pepper and beat in the cream.
- Put a medium skillet, preferably non-stick, over medium heat for about 1 minute. Add the butter or oil and swirl it around the pan. After the butter melts, but before it foams, turn the heat to medium and add the eggs.
- Stir the eggs occasionally with a wooden spoon. After about 5 or 10 minutes the eggs will begin to form curds. Keep stirring, breaking up the curds as they form, until cooked through.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean up.
- Arrange bacon of your choice in a single layer. The slices can be very close together but should not overlap. If they do, they will stick together. Use a second sheet pan, if necessary.
- Bake for about 15 -25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. At around 14 minutes, you can start monitoring how fast the bacon is cooking.
- Cooking times will vary depending on the thickness of the bacon and how crispy you like it.
- When ready, remove the bacon from the oven and place it on a plate lined with paper towels.
- 2 lbs. potatoes (Yukon Gold are great, but any variety will do).
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Garlic salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Rinse potatoes and (if desired) peel. Cut potatoes into small chunks. Be sure to cut them all so they are relatively the same size.
- In large bowl, combine potatoes with the rest of the ingredients. Drizzle liberally with olive oil. Add in garlic powder, garlic salt, black pepper, oregano, and parsley (to taste). With your hands, toss potatoes to coat them with herbs and spices.
- Pour potatoes onto baking sheet and spread evenly.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until crispy, flipping with spatula every 15-20 minutes. Baking times will vary depending on size of potatoes. If potatoes do not become crispy on their own, throw them under the broiler for an additional 5 minutes after baking.
To finish, plate and garnish with fresh berries of your choice, butter and maple syrup.
There you have it. A simple and delicious way to wow your Valentine this year!